First Things: Faith (Week 1)
By: Reality SF
(Leader’s Note: This new material will work in conjunction with our First Things Sermon Series. Each week, we will explore Sunday’s main teaching Scripture.)
Prayer and Reading
Open your time in prayer and read aloud Hebrews 11:1-12:3.
Knowing the Scripture
(Goal: To help us get clear on the meaning of the passage. What is the message or point of the Scripture?)
- What characteristics of faith are held in common between the “great cloud of witnesses” listed in Hebrews 11?
- How does reading the full context of Hebrews 11 shed light on the specific meaning of Hebrews 11:6?
- According to Hebrews 12:1-3, in what ways is Jesus a special example of faith?
- If you were to distill the message of Hebrews 11:1-12:3 into a short statement, what would it be?
Reflecting on the Scripture
(Goal: To help us meaningfully reflect on how this passage is important for our lives. How does this message interact with our personal lives?)
- Take 5 minutes in silent reflection. Pray about where you are in your faith currently. Ask the Spirit to refresh and increase your faith.
- As a group, share about your time in silent reflection and prayer.
- Hebrews 12 starts with “Therefore since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses…” How are you surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses? What stories have inspired your faith?
Practicing the Scripture
(Goal: To help us proactively respond to God’s call for us according to what we personally learned from the passage. What are the practical aspects of this passage and group discussion that God is inviting me to implement into my life?)
- As a group, what would it look like to encourage one another in faith and serve as witnesses of God to one another?
- Based on this passage and this discussion, what faithful action might God be inviting you into?