The Empowering Presence: Prophecy (Week of 10.28.18)
By: Reality SF
Opening Prayer & Silence
Open in prayer and then sit together in three minutes of silence in order to shift focus toward this time of seeking God and practicing the way of Jesus in community.
If you live in one of this last Sunday’s spotlighted neighborhoods, please consider going on a quick, 10-minute prayer walk in your neighborhood. Listen for the Spirit’s guidance and intercede in agreement for your community.
“Eagerly Desire Gifts of the Spirit”
Read 1 Corinthians 14:1-5 and discuss:
- What do you find compelling or surprising about this passage of Scripture?
- How do you understand the gift of prophecy? What does it look like or sound like?
Praying with Scripture
Interact with God by praying with this passage of Scripture in the model of Lectio Divina (or divine reading). This traditional method of praying with Scripture allows us to take a deep dive into a short passage from the Bible. We experience how God wants to bring His truth and presence to our lives through the Scriptures.
- Read: Slowly and prayerfully read Numbers 11:24-29.
- Meditate: Ponder the passage. What phrase or word is sticking out to you? Sit silently with this phrase and ask God, “What do you want me to know about this? How is this connected to my life?” Listen carefully for Him; this is God’s word for you.
- Respond: Bring your honest, sincere prayers to God — whatever is coming up from what you read.
- Contemplate: Transition to wordless, silent contemplation, resting in God’s presence. Enjoying God and abiding with Jesus.
With your remaining time, return to the larger group and share with each other:
- What experiences, thoughts, images, or impressions did you have while praying with the passage of Scripture?
- In what ways do you need help from Jesus and the Body of Christ (one another as the church) to embrace fuller life in Christ? Feel free to make requests for practical, tangible support.