The Empowering Presence: Rebirth & Resurrection (Week of 10.21.18)
By: Reality SF
Opening Prayer & Silence
Open in prayer and then sit together in three minutes of silence in order to shift focus toward this time of seeking God and practicing the way of Jesus in community.
If you live in one of this last Sunday’s spotlighted neighborhoods, please consider going on a quick, 10-minute prayer walk in your neighborhood. Listen for the Spirit’s guidance and intercede in agreement for your community.
“You Must Be Born Again”
Read John 3:1-17 and discuss:
- What do you find compelling or surprising about this Scripture?
- If you were present with Jesus as He taught about being born again, what questions would you have for Him?
Listening for the Holy Spirit
Let’s open ourselves to the Spirit’s presence by taking a posture with our bodies that welcomes the Spirit into our hearts. This could be bowing your head, sitting up straight with open shoulders, opening your hands, or any other position that feels right to you.
Set a timer for three minutes and have your group reflect silently on the week. Ask the Holy Spirit to be your Helper and Comforter by revealing to you:
- An area of your life where you are celebrating new life in Jesus
- An area of loss or longing where you are awaiting Christ’s resurrection life
Split up into pairs, and briefly share with your partner the two areas of life that the Holy Spirit revealed to you.
After sharing, sit in prayerful silence for five minutes, holding before God your brother or sister in Christ and what they shared. Ask the Holy Spirit:
- What do you want this person to know about your compassionate and gracious love for them?
- What do you want this person to know about your redemptive vision for their life?
- Listen and pay attention to any Scripture, images, words, or phrases that come to mind.
Try to avoid having expectations going into this time or the need to understand whatever comes up in you. Just notice what surfaces as you sit silently and prayerfully with your brother or sister on your heart.
At the end of the five minutes, courageously share with your partner what you believe you received from the Holy Spirit — using tentative language such as “I got the impression that…” rather than saying “The Lord told me to tell you…” — which allows us to operate in humility as we discern. Lastly, pray over each other.
With your remaining time, return to the larger group and share with each:
- What experiences or thoughts did you have while sharing and praying with one another?
- In what ways do you need help from the Body of Christ (one another as the Church) to embrace fuller life in Jesus? Feel free to make requests for practical, tangible support.