The Empowering Presence: Tongues (Week of 11.04.18)
By: Reality SF
Opening Prayer and Silence
Open in prayer and then sit together in three minutes of silence to shift focus toward this time of seeking God and practicing the way of Jesus in community.
If you live in this last Sunday’s spotlighted neighborhood, please consider going on a quick, ten-minute prayer walk in your neighborhood. Listen for the Spirit’s guidance and intercede in agreement for your community.
Tongues and Interpretation
Read 1 Corinthians 14:6-17 and discuss:
- What do you find compelling or surprising about this passage of Scripture?
- How do you understand the gift of tongues?
- What have been your experiences with the spiritual gift of tongues?
- What would it look like for your group to eagerly desire the gift of tongues and to encourage one another to desire it?
Exercise: Releasing Control in Prayer
Praying in tongues requires stepping out into the unknown with the Spirit. In preparation for this manifestation of the Spirit, we’ll practice together stepping out and releasing control in prayer. As a group, take ten minutes to pray aloud together (in English!) in order to intentionally practice releasing control in your prayers. Follow these simple guidelines that might stretch you into releasing control in prayer as a group:
- Allow no empty space between prayers, but instead fill any silence with vocalized, short prayers.
- Each person should make each prayer brief — no more than a sentence.
- Pray honestly from your heart, sharing absolutely anything that comes to your mind.
- How are you feeling after this prayer exercise?
- What was challenging or inspiring for you in this prayer?
- In what ways did you feel like you released control while praying?
Practice tongues in your personal prayer life, and then share about it with a friend. Try following these steps:
- Create space: slow down and set aside a time and place.
- Ask God: express your eager desire.
- Give it a shot: even if you don’t know how or if it feels risky, try it!
- Practice: commit yourself to developing this manifestation of the Spirit.
- Repeat: let this be a regular part of your life.