Rule of Life Practice Guide (01.11.21)
Together Practicing Our Rule of Life
- Use this simple, repeatable guide to regularly connect around our church’s Rule of Life.
After the group welcomes one another, have one person open in prayer and then take 2-3 minutes of silence. As you sit in silence, ask the Holy Spirit to help you be lovingly open to God and your groupmates.
Rule of Life in CGs
We are entering a new season as a church, and that new shift includes our Community Group meeting times aligning with our church-wide practice of a common Rule of Life.
The Reality San Francisco Rule of Life is three simple practices:
- Daily Scripture Reading – Reading the Bible according to this reading plan.
- Weekly Fasting – Keeping a weekly 24-hour fast in which we refrain from eating as a spiritual discipline.
- Weekly Sabbath – Setting aside one day each week as a day for resting and delighting in God.
These practices are like a trellis for our discipleship and relationships with Jesus to grow on. Along with our usual checking in and prayer, our CG times will be spent processing together what God’s doing through practicing this Rule of Life.
If anyone in the group is not keeping our church’s Rule of Life, then here’s an invitation to join in! There will always still be room to share, connect, and pray regardless.
Repeatable Sharing on Rule of Life
Share honestly with one another prompted by the questions below, and follow these steps for each person sharing:
- Share – A person responds to any of the prompts below.
- Discern – The group pauses for 30-60 seconds to take it what was shared. After pausing the sharer can add anything they want, and the group can ask clarifying questions.
- Offer – The group get to make offers of support for the person, such as offering prayers, one-on-one connections, financial care, acts of service, verses from scripture, or words of encouragement.
- Bless – One person in the group prays blessing over whoever shared.
If helpful, set a timer to make room for everyone to share or allow your group to focus on just a few people each week.
Take turns responding to any of these questions:
- What is something you believe God’s teaching you or revealing to you through practicing our Rule of Life? (For example, a reaction to a scripture, an insight from prayer, or a challenge from sabbath.)
- How do you believe God is at work in your life circumstances (work, family, social life, etc.)?
- What are some requests to your group for help or prayer?
- What are some pieces from Sunday’s sermon that are sticking with you, and what do you think God is showing you?
- If you have anything you really want your group to know about you right now, what is it and why is it important to you?
Pray for your group, our church, our city, and our world.