The Story & Way of Jesus: The Good News About Jesus (08.23.21)
Processing and responding to the Sunday sermon
After the group welcomes one another, have one person open in prayer and then take 2-3 minutes of silence. As you sit in silence, ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart in love toward God and your group mates.
Directing Toward Jesus
Picking up on Sunday’s sermon from Mark 1:1-15, today’s group time focuses on the way John the Baptist announced the arrival of Jesus. Positioned as a servant of Christ, John the Baptist humbly prepared the way and directed people towards Jesus. John the Baptist provides an example of how to make Jesus known to those who need Him.
Today’s guide invites your group to consider who are the people in your life who direct you toward Jesus—as well as how to intentionally direct others toward Jesus.
Reflection and Discussion
Read aloud Mark 1:1-15, and then prayerfully and silently reflect on the passage and these questions.
- What character qualities made John the Baptist the right person to prepare the way for Jesus?
- Who has God sent you in your life to to direct you toward Jesus?
After silently reflecting, take these thoughts into a time of group discussion.
- Who first told you about Jesus?
- How can we learn from the example of John the Baptist and those who told us about Jesus?
- How would our lives look different if we choose to be messengers directing people toward Jesus?
Pray for your group, our church, our city, and our world.