Overcoming Fear: Fears & What They Teach Us (06.07.21)
Together Processing Our Sermons and Checking In on Rule of Life
- Additional to the sermon response, there is a place to share on Rule of Life if time permits. As always, use this guide as a jumping off point into a meaningful connection with God and one another, and feel no pressure to complete every part of it.
After the group welcomes one another, have one person open in prayer and then take 5 minutes of silence. As you sit in silence, ask the Holy Spirit to help you be lovingly open to God and your groupmates.
Sunday’s sermon explored how fear reveals our values and examined Psalm 56. Use these questions as a jumping off point for an open, vulnerable, and intimate group discussion:
- Learning: Read Psalm 56. What does the language of this psalm reveal about David’s values? What parts from the sermon particularly inspired or challenged you?
- Confession: What are a few fears you have experienced in the last couple weeks?
- Invitation: How do you believe God has invited you to respond to this message and scripture?
- Practice: What values do your fears reveal? Reflect silently and journal for 5-10 minutes with the prompts below, and then share with your group what you discover.
FILL IN THE BLANKS
One fear or anxiety on my mind lately is… (e.g., Fears of my spouse getting very sick) ________________________
Opposite this fear, I hope what would happen is… (e.g., My spouse would be in good health, especially through pregnancy and labor) ________________________
Therefore, my fear reveals that I value… (e.g., My marriage, my spouse’s life, and a healthy and connected family) ________________________
Repeatable Sharing on Rule of Life
If time permits, open up some space for sharing about Rule of Life.
Three foundational practices in our Rule of Life right now:
- Scripture: Reading the Bible daily.
- Fasting: Abstaining from food for a brief period of time weekly.
- Sabbath: Pausing work and tech for a time to rest in God weekly.
Share about your experience of the Rule of Life honestly, prompted by the questions below, and follow these steps for each person sharing:
- Share – A person responds to any of the prompts below.
- Discern – The group pauses for 30-60 seconds to take in what was shared. After pausing the sharer can add anything they want, and the group can ask clarifying questions.
- Offer – The group gets to make offers of support for the person, such as offering prayers, one-on-one connections, financial care, acts of service, verses from scripture, or words of encouragement.
- Bless – One person in the group prays blessing over whoever shared.
If helpful, set a timer to make room for everyone to share or allow your group to focus on just a few people each week.
Take turns responding to any of these questions:
- What is something you believe God’s teaching you or revealing to you through practicing our Rule of Life? (For example, a reaction to a scripture, an insight from fasting, or a challenge from sabbath.)
- How do you believe God is at work in your life circumstances (work, family, social life, etc.)?
- What are some requests to your group for help or prayer?
- If you have anything you really want your group to know about you right now, what is it and why is it important to you?
Pray for your group, our church, our city, and our world.