Overcoming Fear: Redefining Our Relationship with Fear (05.31.21)
Together Processing Our Sermons and Checking In on Rule of Life
- This week we begin a new series “Overcoming Fear,” and we hope this series will take our church on a journey into fear and through it into courageous life with Jesus.
- Additional to the sermon response, there is a place to share on Rule of Life if time permits.
After the group welcomes one another, have one person open in prayer and then take 5 minutes of silence. As you sit in silence, ask the Holy Spirit to help you be lovingly open to God and your groupmates.
Sunday’s sermon focused on the ways Jesus challenges his disciples to redefine their relationships with fear in Mark 4:35-41. Use these questions as a jumping off point for an open, vulnerable, and intimate group discussion:
- Learning: Read Mark 4:35-41. How does Jesus relate to his disciples as they are afraid? What parts from the sermon particularly inspired or challenged you?
- Confession: How do you see fear controlling you? In what ways does being overly anxious or refusing to experience fear hinder you?
- Invitation: How do you believe God has invited you to respond to this message and scripture?
- Practice: As Al introduced on Sunday, it’s important to take an inventory of our fears, see where we can take action, and find ways to surrender to the Lord. Take 5-10 minutes of quiet with the categories below to help you journal prayerfully through your fears, and then share what you find with your group. After a person shares, pray for Jesus to minister to them in their fear.
FILL IN THE BLANKS
Areas I am afraid to experience fear (e.g., Engaging conflict with my boss poorly): ________________________________________________
Areas I can take action (e.g., Write out what I would say in a difficult yet helpful conversation): ________________________________________________
Areas into the Lord’s hands I will entrust (e.g., My boss’ inner thoughts and perceptions of co-workers): ________________________________________________
Repeatable Sharing on Rule of Life
If time permits, open up some space for sharing about Rule of Life.
Three foundational practices in our Rule of Life right now:
- Scripture: Reading the Bible daily.
- Fasting: Abstaining from food for a brief period of time weekly.
- Sabbath: Pausing work and tech for a time to rest in God weekly.
Share about your experience of the Rule of Life honestly, prompted by the questions below, and follow these steps for each person sharing:
- Share – A person responds to any of the prompts below.
- Discern – The group pauses for 30-60 seconds to take in what was shared. After pausing the sharer can add anything they want, and the group can ask clarifying questions.
- Offer – The group gets to make offers of support for the person, such as offering prayers, one-on-one connections, financial care, acts of service, verses from scripture, or words of encouragement.
- Bless – One person in the group prays blessing over whoever shared.
If helpful, set a timer to make room for everyone to share or allow your group to focus on just a few people each week.
Take turns responding to any of these questions:
- What is something you believe God’s teaching you or revealing to you through practicing our Rule of Life? (For example, a reaction to a scripture, an insight from fasting, or a challenge from sabbath.)
- How do you believe God is at work in your life circumstances (work, family, social life, etc.)?
- What are some requests to your group for help or prayer?
- If you have anything you really want your group to know about you right now, what is it and why is it important to you?
Pray for your group, our church, our city, and our world.