A People Empowered: The Experience of the Kingdom (02.10.20)
Facilitator’s Note: This CG will focus on listening prayer.
Invite someone in the CG to name and play a song that captures the essence or quality of your CG.
Read Acts 1:8 twice slowly. Invite the Holy Spirit into your midst and your gathering.
Reflection on Sunday’s Teaching:
This past Sunday, Darren Rouanzoin spoke passionately about how the Book of Acts is an expansion of the Kingdom of God — from the time of Jesus until even now. Shalom is actively being restored. The Kingdom is a reality to be experienced, as we are filled with God dwelling in us so we may live out the Kingdom in our world.
Feel free to choose 1-2 discussion question below, as time allows:
- If any in the group missed Sunday, briefly summarize the main points from the teaching.
- How have you seen someone live out their witness in a way that revealed God?
- Darren taught that the way we spend our time and what we talk about reveals what our lives are directed toward. Based on how you spend your time and what you talk about, what is your life directed toward?
- Author Simon Ponsonby says, “We have domesticated God and rarely want Him to disturb us.” In what areas of your life might you be trying to keep God from disturbing you?
- How would your life be different if you were to “rearrange your entire home and furniture around the song” (i.e. experiencing the presence of God)?
Practice: Embodying the Power of the Holy Spirit through Listening Prayer
- Listening Prayer as a CG
- Share the below prayer with God and then wait on God together in silence for 7 minutes.
- “God, you are powerful. We invite your Holy Spirit into our midst. We are listening. As you bring renewal into our city, our church, and our CG, what do you want to do in and through this CG, our CG? “
- After 7 minutes of listening, take turns sharing. What came up
- After everyone has shared, consider how your CG might live into what was shared. Listen for any invitations for your CG to plan or act upon the Spirit’s leading in the coming weeks and months.
- Examples might include:
- Serving the homeless as a CG
- Hosting a meal where you invite those outside of your CG who may not experience deep community
- Making room for reconciliation within the CG, if needed
- Giving generously to someone with practical need
- Sharing brunch together before or after church
- Playing and having a game night together
- Listening Prayer for Each Person
- Each individual will share the below prayer with God and wait on God in silence for 7 minutes. (You may journal during this time if it’s helpful.)
- “God, I am listening. Holy Spirit, through my ordinary life, I invite your extraordinary power. What do you want to do in my life, in my family, in my workplace, with my friends, etc.?”
- After 7 minutes of listening, take turns sharing (splitting into 2s or 3s if you are in a large group). What came up?
- Consider how you as CG members can support one another, asking: How can we practically help this person live this out?
- Examples might include:
- Visiting one person’s workplace to do a prayer walk
- Sending texts of encouragement to help with loneliness
- Babysitting for parents in the group
- Fasting and/or praying communally through an important life decision
- Praying this week for one person’s family members, accountability, etc.
Commit these hopes and plans to God. Close with this prayer by St. Augustine:
Look upon us, O Lord,
And let all the darkness of our souls
Vanish before the beams of thy brightness.
Fill us with holy love,
And open to us the treasures of your wisdom.
All our desire is known unto you,
Therefore perfect what you have begun,
And what your Spirit has awakened us to ask in prayer.
We seek your face,
Turn your face unto us and show us your glory.
Then shall our longing be satisfied,
And our peace shall be perfect.