Carry His Name Well (07.15.19)
Open in prayer and then sit in 3 minutes of silence to shift focus toward this time of seeking God and practicing the way of Jesus.
Prayer of Examen
For 5-15 minutes, use the below prompts to prayerfully reflect on your life in the last day or week. Consider journaling in a notebook or on your phone if it will help you to focus.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to open your eyes to His working presence in your life today.
- Recount your day or week by looking for God’s goodness in the simple, mundane things.
- Look for times when you were aware of God as well as times when you were distracted or unaware of Him—or even resistant to Him.
- In times you were aware of God, what does the Lord want you to know? In times when you were unaware or resistant to Him, in what ways is God inviting you to express sorrow for sin and ask for forgiveness?
- Pray for the grace to be more fully available to God, who loves you totally.
- For the last couple minutes, transition to wordless, silent contemplation, resting in God’s presence, enjoying God, and abiding in Christ’s presence.
Take some time to share what you experienced in this examen with a friend or your Community Group (if you’re meeting).
Hearing & Responding to Scripture
Slowly read through this Sunday’s core teaching Scripture: 2 Kings 5:1-19. This narrative depicts an interaction between Naaman, Elisha, and the power of God.
Prayerfully reflect on these questions for 5-10 minutes and then discuss with a friend or group:
- What stood out or surprised you in this Scripture?
- What might God be trying to communicate to His people and to you specifically through this passage?
- In honest response to God, tell Him how His message affects you. What do you want God to know or see that is happening in your life?
Take a moment to intercede in prayer for one another, those whom you know who need prayer, and for God’s will to be done in our city.