A Vision for Renewal: Discipleship & Renewal (01.27.20)
Facilitator’s Note: We’re back to journaling this week. You are welcome to use pen and paper or the notes app on your phones during quiet reflection time if that is helpful. Also, take a moment to remind your CG that Reality’s Discipleship Courses are starting in the next few weeks. The winter-term courses are almost full, but there is still room in the spring-term courses.
Remembrance & Thanksgiving
After greeting everyone, begin your time together by having one person read Psalm 25:4-15. Spend 3-5 minutes in silence. Invite the Holy Spirit to be present and to lead you into God’s grace and truth tonight.
At the end of your time in reflection, ask someone to open the gathering with prayer.
Reflecting on Sunday’s Scripture
Read Matthew 28:18-20 (silently or out loud) and discuss:
- What do you think is the connection between renewal and discipleship in this passage?
- What do you think is the role of community in discipleship?
- What has your experience been with church community in teaching you or others to be a disciple and “observe all that [Jesus] has commanded”?
Practice: Becoming Like Jesus In Thought & Action
We believe that, as disciples of Christ, we are transformed to become more like Jesus through truth, community, practices, and the Holy Spirit. Let’s take a moment to dig into how we, as Community Groups, can support each other tangibly in our discipleship to Jesus.
Take 10 minutes to prayerfully reflect on the following questions.
- Are there areas of your life that the Lord may want to renew through increased personal discipleship or spiritual practices? If so, how?
- Are there areas of your life where the Lord is calling you to join in His broader plans for renewal by supporting the discipleship of others? If so, how?
Write down any thoughts or ideas that come to mind. Come back together as a large group (or break into 2s and 3s), and discuss:
- What areas came up for you during your reflection time?
- What things can we do in this CG to help support your personal discipleship? What about discipleship in our church, homes, friend groups, city, etc.?
Have one person close in prayer, and/or read aloud the Prayer of Self-Dedication from the Book of Common Prayer:
Almighty and eternal God, draw our hearts to you, guide our minds, fill our imaginations, control our wills, that we may be wholly yours, utterly dedicated to you; and then use us, we pray, as you will, and always to your glory and the welfare of your people; through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.